Dudebot wrote:
> I appreciate the help, Marnen.  In fact, I have
> http://api.rubyonrails.org/
> permanently up while coding rails, and it's the tab to the left of my
> email as I write this.  I always go first to it, then the guides, then
> a Google search, and only then do I post here.  However, as one new to
> rails, I don't "get it" yet.

I understand.  The hardest thing for me has often been finding features
I know must exist, but whose names I don't know.

> Unlike ruby, rails is all about
> nomenclature and formalisms.

Not really, except in some limited parts of the framework.

>  I'm still learning those, and it was
> easy to overlook the ":scope" option when I re-read
> "validates_uniqueness_of"'s documentation for the fourth time.

If on the fourth reading, you are overlooking things, then perhaps your
docs reading skills are at issue here.

And I'm not trying to be snarky by saying that.  I just want to remind
you that getting the most out of something like Rails is not only a
question of technical skills.

> You
> may forget what it was like to first enter rails,

I do not.  I know that it can be tough.

> but in a formalism
> rich environment, human navigation can be priceless

Agreed.  The only reason I responded with "RTFM" was that in this case,
you clearly knew the name of the function you needed to call, so you
would know where to look.

--as it was in your
> post.  So, thanks.

You're welcome.