On Saturday 26 September 2009, Dudebot wrote:
> Oh, I definitely admit that my "docs reading skills" are imperfect!
> Maybe in my next life I'll be granted the get-it-all-at-once-when-
> reading gift, but not in this one :)  Anyway, you helped me cut out
> unnecessary code and I learned quite a bit in the process, so I am
> grateful.

Have you ever considered reading the Rails source code? Not everything,
of course, but some of the bits and pieces that interest you and that
give you trouble. Spent as much or as little time as you like and
you'll find it is well spent. Reading and understanding the source is
within the reach of every programmer seriously working with Rails.

There are about three places that are truly involved (in the 2.x
series): joins and associations in ActiveRecord, view templates, and
routing. So don't start your reading at the deep end and you'll be
fine.

I'm making this suggestion every once in a while and usually the
reaction is not particularly heartfelt. Anyway, don't take this
personally, see it as an invitation, not an exhortation.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig
mailto:mich...@schuerig.de