the question that could summarize this in a nutshell is this:

does the orm structure of rails make it a poor framework to implement
a small erp/crm solution?

if you got that then please read ahead - i need some suggestions...

ive been making an app for my small business. now believe me, i know
there's a ton of solutions out there but coding is more like a
recreational activity so i enjoy doing it regardless...

my program has the basic ability to generate quotes, track my
inventory and all the basic functions however i'm finding it more and
more difficult to make it extensible.

for example - i have a customer model (to put it simply) and say i
want to add an TaxID column... i can use migrations and update all of
my forms and blah blah blah... most "good" crm programs allow you to
add this functionality on the fly - i would like to add that
functionality.

don't get me wrong - i dont care about the UI design and javascript
thats involved... that's all secondary to me. i want to know at the
model/controller level if this sort of thing is not only possible but
probable with rails. (by "this sort of thing" i mean dynamically
creating/altering models on the fly with a running app).

Thanks in advance - hopefully someone with deep insight will step up
to the plate for me. I've asked around and i've yet to receive
anything that looks like a helpful answer.