I would support anyone who has had a similar experience with
Hostingrails (which seems like many), to pursue a class action
lawsuit.

Our story:

My company is a web agency and we hosted several of our client
websites with Hostingrails. On April 30th, I received notification
from one of our customers that their site was down. I then found out
all of our sites were down. We called hostingrails support and
submitted a ticket for an urgent correction. No response was
officially given until Sunday morning! We were not able to call on the
weekend as they have NO weekend call support. After our own
developer's investigation, we finally realized that our sites IP
addresses had been changed (without them even informing us!). After
posting numerous tickets, hostingrails finally gave us the new IP's to
redirect to. This was only the start of our problems...On Monday, we
called the support and they finally explained there was a server
upgrade and "we should have know about this" (our sites have been down
for 72 hours at this point). We NEVER received any email or
notification, nor could they prove they sent us any such message. I
demanded to speak to a manager in charge, his name is Derek Hopper. He
wasn't available but support promised to call back taking my number
(European number). Then he sent an email saying he was unable to make
international calls (what a load of BS!).

In short, we never got our issues resolved and the server change
forced us to move all websites to a new server. This wasted 5 days of
our time and not to mention significant financial losses and damage to
our reputation. Even after all of this, we asked Derek for our money
back on hosting we have not used (we paid 2 years in advance hosting).
He came up with the biggest BS excuse ever saying he "can't make a
refund due to the merchant system". He then asked us to "trust him"
and we could have free hosting for 2 years (extended to 2014). He even
had the nerve to offer this when our current issues were still NOT
resolved. I have never dealt with more incompetent people in my life.

We have not received a refund yet but will do whatever it takes to get
some justice in this case. If anyone else has a similar story to share
or would like to investigate a class action lawsuit, please email me
at clint.hai...@gmail.com

Clinton