the example i'm making uses state_machine because it's part of my
current setup but this isnt a state_machine specific problem.

i have a model called Station. it's an abstract concept for "an area
in which work is performed"... when i'm using the app the Stations
could be anything from "simulation terminal A" to "the lathe in
building C"...

each station has various properties (one of which is conveniently
"state") and i would like to use buttons on my form (or links if it
can be done in an xss safe way) to immediately change one of those
properties... one button for example may be "release to floor" which
when clicked would - in a non restful app - call the "release" action
on the station controller. the release action would then take the
station and call "release!" on it... however i want to accomplish this
using standard actions.

just using a text box and "saving" the record doesn't automatically
fire the state-changing events (which i think is a good thing) AND
that type of structure does not relate to my problem in a convenient
way... there's a handful of cases where i just want to have a few
buttons peppered in my form that when clicked, perform a direct action
on my object without having to "invent" a bunch of non-standard
actions..

any tips?
thank you much,
- FJM