a form can only direct to one action though, correct?

i want these buttons to located inside of my form - and while ive
never tried it, i'll assume that nesting forms leads to heartbreak and
homelessness...

if i have 20 different states... and am only going to need a user to
chose 1 of 3 at any given point in time, it doesnt make sense to have
20 separate actions.. is there a way to pass put params in a button_to
or link_to? in my controllers update action, can i check if any
specific params are specified and then delegate to the appropriate
action? the docs for button_to don't really help me too much.