[Please quote when replying, so that it is clear what you are responding
to.]

frankjmat...@gmail.com wrote:
> a form can only direct to one action though, correct?

Absent JavaScript, yes.

> i want these buttons to located inside of my form - and while ive
> never tried it, i'll assume that nesting forms leads to heartbreak and
> homelessness...

It leads to invalid HTML and unpredictable results.

But do these have to be submit buttons?  Why not make them links?

> if i have 20 different states... and am only going to need a user to
> chose 1 of 3 at any given point in time, it doesnt make sense to have
> 20 separate actions..

Why the hell would you have 20 different states?  Perhaps you're abusing
your state machine...

But if not, then yeah, maybe a go_to_state action would work better.

> is there a way to pass put params in a button_to
> or link_to?

Sure, you can always have a query string in your URL, or play with your
routes to pass the appropriate parameters.  Query strings work just as
well in Rails as anywhere else.

> in my controllers update action, can i check if any
> specific params are specified and then delegate to the appropriate
> action?

Of course you can, though this will be messy if overdone.

> the docs for button_to don't really help me too much.

You probably don't want button_to anyway -- there's generally no reason
to use JavaScript for something this simple.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org