> I have been just tasked to learn Rails for a new project and have been
> given Mac machine for it. I have never used a Mac / Linux ever. I have
> used Rails before on Windows. I need to set up Rails development env
> on this Mac machine. Its Mac OS X - Snow Leopard. The development
> environment needs Rails 2.3.5, GIT client and MySQL. We are still
> swaying between using Mongreal or Apache locally, because the
> production will be in Apache.

Use Apache locally too.  It's simple, Apache is already installed on Snow
Leopard. Install Passenger and configure it (which you'll need to learn how
to do for production anyway).  Update your gems on Snow Leopard (as Rails is
also already installed on Snow Leopard) and away you go.

> Can someone advise what the best practices, best tools, editors, etc
> to set up Rails development env locally on a Mac? Apologize for the v
> basic question. :-)

As I said, you already have Rails and Apache ready to go.  You need to
install MySQL (or use sqlite in development) and that's it.  I personally
use TextMate, but RubyMine looks awesome if you don't mind the lag for
Java-based IDEs to start up.

Cheers,

Andy