Homebrew (http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew) is your friend for software
dependencies installation.

Here's a rough guide that gives the process:

http://samsoff.es/posts/running-rails-local-development-with-nginx-postgres-and-passenger-with-homebrew

Substitute mysql for postgresql and drop the nginx install and most of
the steps are the same.

Personally, I use Ruby Enterprise Edition as installed from Homebrew,
too and it works well for managing RubyGems without sudo (passenger is
included in the install).  It's what I use in production, so it makes
my development environment more closely match what I'm using in
production.

Cheers,
Walter