Hi there,
I'm a newb when it comes to RoR but I have some questions about
deployment that has eluded me since I heard about RoR 2+ years ago. I
was hoping someone could shed some light for me on this subject.

I've read many books on Ruby and Rails, and I've watched many video
tutorials but after hours of reading up on Ruby and Rails, I am still
confused about how deployment is done. Mind you, I'm learning this
stuff on my own without help from a real person, so I'm a little
frustrated about how difficult it is to deploy a site/app.

Also, another question is where can I find a very cheap host to upload
my RoR app/site?  Or what host would you recommend that wouldn't cost
an arm and a leg?  I see to use Joyent.com it cost ALOT to host with
them (http://www.joyent.com/services/cloudhosting/) like around $500+/
mo for 4GB Ram... That's crazy if you ask me... Especially, if you're
just starting out and want to play around before you get into paying
more money for a host.

Anyway, here's what I understand thus far about deployment...
I can use either "SVN" or "Git" to upload my RoR project to a server,
is that correct? Why can't I just use FTP?  (newb question I know...)

I've been hearing a lot about Phusion Passenger, but it's a little
overwhelming.  So just wondering if this is all I need to deploy an
app?  Would I need git or svn if I used passenger?

What books would you recommend for learning to upload a Ruby on Rails
site/app to a server?

I did a few searches here to find out if i could get an answer for my
questions but it's a little overwhelming..  I know it's a lot of
questions so my apologies in advance. Any guidance I can get about
these topics would be very appreciated and helpful.  Even if it's just
listing a couple books that specifically target these subjects would
be great.

Thanks again,
Jeremy

P.S. I work on Mac OSX - Snow Leopard 10.6.4, 3.06 GHz Intel Core2 Duo
and 4GB memory...  Also, I'm working with the current stable versions
of Ruby, Rails and gems as of June 27 2010.