I'm not sure if this is relevant but here goes.

You said you are running Vista 32bit (VMware Fusion) - what is running in
VMWare fusion? Vista or something like VirtualRails?

I have something similar at home - run Ubuntu as my main OS, but have a full
webserver VirtualBox to reduce the number of unneeded processes running
(only fire up the webserver vm when actually needed). My host OS does not
have rails, MySQL client/server or gem installed at all.

The Rails source is in the VM, linked to a directory on my main os by sshfs.
If I need to run any ruby, rails or MySQL command, it has to be run from the
web vm cli, NOT the hosts.

For example, running "script/dbconsole" in a host cli box I get all sorts of
horrible error messages, but it works as intended when run from a cli from
the VM.

What I think I'm saying is - if your rails dev environment is in a VM, use
the resources of the VM to run Rails/MySQL tasks, not the hosts.

HTH