> > And then in the controller:
>
> > @inactive = Item.inactive
>
> This looks like it will still fire off a query which is what I want to
> avoid.

The query would only fire (once) prior to rendering the view. For
example, if you set the variable in the index action of the controller
the query would only be run after calling the index action.

> cars = Car.scoped
> rich_ppls_cars = cars.order('cars.price DESC').limit(10)
>
> It appears that the call to cars fires the query but the call to
> rich_ppls_cars only works on the resultant dataset and does not fire a
> new query. Would that be correct? For example, I could then say
> poor_ppls_cars = cars.order('cars.price ASC').limit(10) and I would get
> different data without a new query?

In Rails 3 the cars example above, you are creating a relation. The
query is fired when you call rich_people_cars.first or .all

Looking at some of the other posts here I agree there could be some
misunderstanding of what you're trying to do.

If it's 16 teams * 16 games that's only 256 results. You can query all
the records and then logically view the remainder in instance
variables.

Also, if you're looking at the bookings for holes then perhaps you set
the query to return records based on the date and venue. There are
only so many dates and venues available after all.

Interesting problem though and a good way to learn Rails.