We all know how software engineering is, often we overestimate the
amount of effort needed to complete a still abstract task. That's why
agility prays fast, simple iterations, say no, cut the bloat. In the
case of Rails, it's really more passion than deadlines involved, not
to mention it is a collaborative remote effort from people around the
world, the process will be kind of chaotic, in the good sense.

Now, I'm not advocating the approach the core-team uses, sometimes
they go over the edge with their arrogancy, although this is changing
as more people get into the 'elite' sphere (i.e getting more diverse),
but I do think that this is a direct consequence of all the stupidity
that you often see around a highly-hyped topic such as Rails and other
IT topics. It is like selecting "friends". There are just too many
people that want fast / magical results or nerds that love to troll.

Marcelo.