I found a couple of good books, Simply Rails 2 by Lenz is my favorite.
Of course it's for Rails 2. You may have to wait for a while for the
new crop of Rails 3 books to come out. Or try to update the examples
to work in Rails 3.

Judging by your questions about template engines and user management,
I'd recommend a more advanced book like The Rails Way.

Other than that, try to build your own app. Nothing really works
better than that.