ZRiddick wrote:
> Really strange that I cannot find a lot of discussion on a good RoR
> IDE. Most of what I have pulled up dates to 2008.  Also the Eclipse
> IDE has trouble finding the JRE running on Windows 7 64 bit. Very
> surprised that Eclipse is not more concerned with having there
> platform work better with JRE since it is so dependent upon it. I
> dropped it like a hot potato for this reason. I am going to give the
> netbeans a go but I would like a lot more input on the matter from
> seasoned RoR developers. If I am missing something please let me know.
> I am really interested in switching to Ruby for developing enterprise
> apps. Otherwise I will be forced to go with visual studio wfc.

I'll give you a hint, in case this hasn't been clear from previous
posts. The reason you don't find a lot of discussion about IDEs for Ruby
on Rails is because most of us don't use an IDE. The reason is not that
IDEs for Ruby on Rails don't exist, it's because we don't use IDEs by
choice.

I use IDEs for my Java work all the time. Mostly because Java makes it
nearly impossible to work without one. My IDE of choice in the Java
world is Netbeans. However, not having to use an IDE at all was one of
the primary joys of Ruby on Rails, and it's one of the many things that
drew me to the framework. This may sound strange to you, but I promise
you I'm not alone in this opinion.