Peter De Berdt wrote:
> On 19 Sep 2010, at 21:03, Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
>
>>> Although we could scope everything on the customer, but given the
>>> total amount of data involved across all accounts, it would have a
>>> dramatic impact on performance over time, even with proper indexes.
>>
>> What makes you think so?  A good DB should be able to handle this with
>> minimal performance impact.
>
> It's called performance and stress tests.

Would you mind sharing some of what you found?  I'd be very curious.

>>> Also, since we are storing the data of direct competitors (our
>>> customers are in the same market segment in our already small
>>> country)
>>> we found that during presales the question about keeping data
>>> separate
>>> always arose.
>>
>> And you just need to tell your customers that you do so.  How you do
>> it
>> is none of their business.
>
> Once you start working with the budgets and contacts they work with,
> it becomes their business, or it's no business for us.

The SaaS client does not get to dictate implementation.  Period.  The
custom software client *might* -- at a higher price tag.

> I'm guessing
> you don't work with Microsoft SQL Server for fun either.

Different situation.  I came inboard a development team where MS SQL
server was already in use.  I love the job otherwise, so I'm willing to
put up with one point of difficulty.

>>> Again, a good test suite could and should avoid one
>>> customer seeing another one's data, just like Blinksale does it, but
>>> prospects might not see it that way so easily.
>>
>> Are you saying you don't have a good test suite, then?
>
> As insulting as I find your question, I think we're pretty well
> covered, thank you.

Why do you find that insulting?  You seemed to be implying that you had
to take certain measures because you didn't have a good test suite.  I
simply asked if that's what you meant.  Apparently it wasn't.

> Best regards
>
> Peter De Berdt

Best,
--