On 27 November 2010 12:57, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Here you say they should be the same I think (which I agree with
> generally), yet right at the start you said it was ok for them to be
> different.

Sorry for any confusion. I was answering the two different questions
the OP seemed to ask:
1) *can* you set up different DBs for dev/test/production?
Yes you can, and it's very easy.
2) *should* you do it?
No - in most cases.

The framework makes it easy to do, and sometimes you might have to
operate with different DB configurations (you might be developing for
a commercial DB you don't have installed locally to your dev
environment...), but given the choice, I would avoid it if at all
possible, and try to ensure my environments are all as similar as
possible.
You might choose to have a different test environment to take
advantage of running tests memory for fast performance - but you would
have to beware of failures of the testing environment (due to db
differences) which weren't necessarily problems with your application
- but if someone is running tests in RAM, they're probably more than
aware of this ;-)