Chris,
   Thanks for the response. I am used to package managers in systems
like Ubuntu and understand the benefits of having package managers.
But If you want to install a software like say Eclipse or Netbeans in
Ubuntu you have the flexibility of doing so  either through the
package manager or by just unpacking the tarball into a directory of
your choice. Its about having an alternative if one of it does not
work or just about having the freedom to make a choice.
   E.g. : When i am thrown with the below error and since I do not
understand the inner working of Rubygems, I am left with no other
option :
C:\Documents and Settings\AllUsers\Desktop>  gem install rails --
version 3.0.1
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Zlib::GzipFile::Error)
    not in gzip format
 I was able to locate 'all in one' rails package until version 2.2.3
at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=307 but not the newer versions.

Regards,
Shafeeq.