On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 5:18 AM, Shafeeq <mohamed.shaf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 4:46 pm, Michael Pavling <pavl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 14 April 2011 12:30, Shafeeq <mohamed.shaf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The question is quite simple.
> >
> > But the answer to simple questions is frequently much more complicated...
> >
> > > Is there a way I can package Rails gem and
> > > all its dependencies (in a machine where I have internet connection)
> > > into a single file to be FTPed to the server (where I dont have
> > > internet) for installation?
> >
> > Yes. You can download all the dependent gems from rubygems.org. Zip
> > them into one file, and ftp them.
>
>       Thanks. When you said I can download all the dependent gems and
> zip them, do i have to download them all manually from rubygems.org
> using a browser? Or if I choose to download them all through RubyGems
> installer whats the path where I can find all the downloaded gems in
> the rails installation location?

No you don't have to download through a browser from rubygems.org. You can
download them through the gem installer. You can find the location of where
a gem is installed on your system by running the following command:

gem which <name_of_gem>

> If the Gems are present at a location
> where there are lots of other non-Rails Gems, then wouldn't it be very
> painful to segregate the Rails Gems?

There will be lots of gems installed on your system for different reasons.
No it is not painful to segregate them. You can see a list of the gems that
Rails has a dependency on by running the following command:

gem dependency rails

The gem installer is your best tool. Take the time to read the manuals which
will give you more than enough information on the above  questions you have
and more.

http://docs.rubygems.org/

>  I wish there was a simpler way like all the Rails Gems packaged
> into one bundle available for download. This is in addition to the
> existing way of installation. This is about having an additional
> option to a valid situation where you can install do an installation
> over the internet.

The easier way is the gem installer whether you are connected to the
internet or you have a copy of the gem package file you transferred onto
your server from another machine. The gem installer does not need the
internet to install a gem. You just have to have the gem you want to
install. Where are all the packages that you need to install Rails?
rubygems.org. And now the argument has come full circle.

B.