Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 2, 2011, at 3:53 AM, Sta Canovist <stacanov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, Im new to Ruby. COming from PHP/Java world. I DON'T want to learn
> ruby, sigh.
> Anyway I got a project that is done in ruby and it need some
> modifications sometimes.
>
> So until now, dont know how, I managed fixing a few things on that
> application.
> Sometimes was about setting a page to show more fields than before. Or
> maybe block a page redirecting it to an access denied page.
>
> But now things are gotting more serious and bigger modifications are
> needed. I think I can manage doing that. But working like have done
> until now is VERY unefficient. Basically, Im working directly on a
> test server. I NEVER managed (this is the real big problem) in
> installing the app, correctly, on my local machine. Im getting mad in
> trying to do it it but with no success.
>
> Thus the problem is about succesing in making the local app working.
> Explaining in details everything I guess would make most of you stop
> reading this post. So I try with another strategy. Here it comes:
>
> I am on MAC. Ruby is installed by default. I MUST use Apache as
> server. So I put a virtual host poiting to /MY_PATH_RO_ROR_APP/public
>
> When typing http://localhost/ then I see the content of the public
> folder.
>
> The APP is "empty". Im not using things like generate or scaffolding.
> Why? Well, because my thought was to just copy all the application
> located on the test-server and making it work. Is that bad? I dont
> know. I would prefer not to go through all ruby stuff.
> If it is bad it is ok, as long as this is not the cause of the thing
> that the app is not working.
>
> What I need to do is to create a controller manually and connect it
> through the route.rb.
>
> i create a file in the app folder named product_controller.rb:
>
> class ProductController < ApplicationController
>
>  def show
>    render :text => 'abcd'
>    return
>  end
>
> end
>

> Now I want to map the route. How can I do this? I tried different
> ways. For example:
>
> map.resources :product
>
> or
> map.connect ':controller/:action/:id'
>
> or
> map.connect ':controller/:action/:id.:format'
>
> or
> map.connect ':product/:show'
>
> Well, everytime I try then to type something in the browser. I try for
> example:
>
> localhost/product/1
> localhost/product/show
> localhost/product/1/show
> localhost/product
>
> Well, all the time I can see the same error in the log:
>
> File doesnt exist.
>
> Right now Im thinking that the url-requests are managed by apache. And
> that apache doesnt understand that this is a ROR app? Is that the
> [...]

Apache alone can't serve a Rails app. You need passenger.

Rails also comes with a webserver if u cd to the project dir and type
script/server

If you need to maintain a rails app it might be good to learn some Ruby. Trust
me there are worst things out there. Google tryruby

Above I made the guess that ur  app is not rails 3. You should find what
version of rails you are using because something like routing differs.

-Noel