On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM, Kurtis Rainbolt-Greene <
kurtisrainboltgre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Samuel,
>

> > though I learnt they're switching to scala
>
> They're not actually switching to Scala. They're porting a large
> portion of their computational work to the JVM with Scala being one of
> the languages they use to power that.
> The web interface, last I checked, was still running on Rails :).
>
> > I'm currently learning ruby as a beginner to later carry on to Ruby on
> Rails with the sole aim of developing a website similar to twitter... the
> project is a bit complex than twitter and better.

Bottom line: until you are getting millions of hits, dont worry about it. If
you reach that point you will have to optimize regardless of language and
framework -- which may mean all kinds of creative things, but you will never
know what they are before you get there. Rails is a great place, if you
master it and its conventions you have a toolset to deal with less organized
and structured frameworks.