On 23 September 2011 06:02, Chirag Singhal <chirag.sing...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You have to create new branch locally and pull code from your git branch
> into that one.
> So something like this on your laptop:
> Open up terminal and change directory to where your app is checked out.
> Create a new local branch:
> git checkout -b updating_users
> Pull code in that branch from your github repo branch:
> git pull origin updating_users
> Alternatively you can also use this command:
> git checkout -b updating_users origin/updating_users

Chirag: Are you sure about this.  I thought that when you cloned a
repository it would come with all its branches, and all that the OP
should need to do is
git checkout <branch_name>

OP: if you have gitk installed (if you have not then do so, and also
git-gui) then try
gitk --all
and it should show you all the history and branches in the cloned repository

Colin

Colin

> Chirag
> http://sumeruonrails.com
>

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:21 AM, 7stud -- <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>>
>> Chirag Singhal wrote in post #1023053:
>> > First you have to setup your laptop for git usage similar to what you
>> > had
>> > done for your PC.
>> > 1. Install Git
>> > 2. Generate SSH keys
>> > 3. Add your laptop's public key to your github account (you can add as
>> > many
>> > keys as you want, so do not modify your PC's key, just add a new one)
>> >
>> > Then go to your repo page on github, copy the clone url shown there, and
>> > use
>> > git clone <clone url>
>> > to get your ruby app on your laptop.
>> >
>> > From there on, you can continue working same way as you did on your PC.
>> >
>> > Chirag
>> > http://sumeruonrails.com
>>
>> There is nothing at github that says "clone url".  There is a url
>> displayed when you go to a repo.  So on my laptop, I went to the
>> directory I want my app to be in, rails_projects, and then I issued the
>> command you showed me.  Then I cd'ed into the newly created app
>> directory, and I get this:
>>
>> $ git branch
>> *master
>>
>> However, I have another branch on github called 'updating users', and  I
>> can't figure out how to download the other branch.
>>
>> --

gplus.to/clanlaw