On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 5:51 AM, Chirag Singhal <chirag.sing...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 23 September 2011 06:02, Chirag Singhal <chirag.sing...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > You have to create new branch locally and pull code from your git branch
>> > into that one.
>> > So something like this on your laptop:
>> > Open up terminal and change directory to where your app is checked out.
>> > Create a new local branch:
>> > git checkout -b updating_users
>> > Pull code in that branch from your github repo branch:
>> > git pull origin updating_users
>> > Alternatively you can also use this command:
>> > git checkout -b updating_users origin/updating_users
>>
>> Chirag: Are you sure about this.  I thought that when you cloned a
>> repository it would come with all its branches, and all that the OP
>> should need to do is
>> git checkout <branch_name>
>>
>> Colin: I am not sure if there is another way to get all branches. This is
> how I have been fetching other branches for a while now.
> I looked up github guides to double check and it seems to confirm the
> behavior - http://help.github.com/remotes/ scroll down to "clone"
> documentation.
>
> Chirag
> http://sumeruonrails.com
>

>> OP: if you have gitk installed (if you have not then do so, and also
>> git-gui) then try
>> gitk --all
>> and it should show you all the history and branches in the cloned
>> repository

I think the missing link here is the command

$ git branch -r

This will show all the remote branches. From there you can then check them
out
locally. The data is in your local repo after the clone (so you can do this
off-line),
but only a default branch is checked out with git clone. Whis is the default
branch
can be set as "Default branch" on the github admin page for a project.

peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/twitter/bootstrap$ git branch
* master
peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/twitter/bootstrap$ git branch -r
  origin/1.3-wip
  origin/1.4-wip
  origin/HEAD -> origin/master
  origin/gh-pages
  origin/master
peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/twitter/bootstrap$ # disconnected Ethernet
peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/twitter/bootstrap$ ping github.com
ping: unknown host github.com
peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/twitter/bootstrap$ git checkout -b 1.4-wip
origin/1.4-wip
Branch 1.4-wip set up to track remote branch 1.4-wip from origin.
Switched to a new branch '1.4-wip'
peterv@ASUS:~/b/github/twitter/bootstrap$ ls -l | head -4
total 128
-rw-r--r-- 1 peterv peterv 52167 2011-09-24 11:00 bootstrap.css
-rw-r--r-- 1 peterv peterv 43541 2011-09-24 11:00 bootstrap.min.css
drwxr-xr-x 3 peterv peterv  4096 2011-09-24 11:00 docs

HTH,

Peter