On 11 November 2011 02:25, buckmajor <buck.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey yall
>
> OS: Windows7
> Browser: Firefox8.0
>
> I am new to RoR and finally got it installed (I think). I used
> railsInstaller: http://railsinstaller.org/ and downloaded 'vim'. I was
> unable to install RoR manually the first time since I stumbled across
> a slight error 'lib' file missing so I used the railsInstaller and got
> it going. I tested it on http://localhost:3000/ and its displaying
> fine. I terminated the page using 'Ctrl + C' and refresh the localhost
> page and it was not displaying. So far so good.
>
> My question is:
> 1. How do I create an web app to a specific URL?
> 2. Where is the database suppose go to or link to?
> 3. I open up vim but not sure what to do here?

Start by working through some rails tutorials.  railstutorial.org is
good and is free to use online.  Also work through the Rails Guides,
starting with 'Getting Started' obviously.

With regard to using vim as the editor, any text editor will suffice
so just use whichever one you already use for development.

Unless you are absolutely stuck with using windows then I suggest
using this as an excuse to try out a linux distribution such as
Ubuntu.   Most of those developing rails apps use linux or Mac and it
is generally more straightforward.  I can almost guarantee that you
would not regret the time spent learning Ubuntu, it is great to feel
back in control of the PC again.

Colin