I like your suggestion about having / always specify bound.  However,
syntactically decoupling the size of the type from the type seems odd.
 Also, I'm not sure how one would express multidimensional arrays.

My line of thinking is this:
If you have an array of four Ints, the type of the array is 4 Ints.
It's incompatible with an array that is 5 ints without an adaptor.
Since [] indicates a vector, and a vector in Rust has both a length
and a type, Why not make the size of the vector the first of two
parameters in the []?

e.g.     [N,T]

or, for unspecified length:  [_,T]  (possibly sugared to [T])

For multidimensional arrays:

let matrix : [4, [4, Int]]

Then, not that this is a big deal, but no backtracking required, and
it's a bit more in line with existing paradigms.

P.S.
If I had to order my preferences, I would still prefer the   :N [T]
over  [T]/N  because I think [T]/N could be rather misleading to the
uninitiated.  Although I think I would end up expressing it as :
 let foo : N[T]
But I also express my ptrs in C as
foo* varname instead of  foo *varname, because I think the latter is
nonsensical.