Hello,

As this is going to be my first e-mail on this list, please do not hesitate
to correct me if I speak out of turn.
Also do note that I am not a native English speaker, I still promise to do
my best and I will gladly welcome any correction.

----

First, I agree that operations on vectors and strings are mostly similar.

However this is at the condition of considering strings as list of
codepoints, and not list of bytes. List of bytes are useful in encoding and
decoding operations, but to manipulate Arabic or Korean, they fall short:
having users manipulate the strings byte-wise instead of codepoint-wise is
a recipe to disaster outside of English and Latin-1 representable languages.

I understand that this may seem contradictory to Rust's original direction
of utf-8 encoded strings, but having worked with utf-8 strings using C++
`std::string` I can assure you that apart from blindly passing them around,
one cannot do much. All modifiying operations require the use of Unicode
aware libraries... even `substr`.

Second, I do not think that statically known sizes are so important in the
type system. I am a huge fan, and abuser, of the C++ template system, but I
will be the first to admit it is really complex and generally poorly
understood even among usually savvy C++ users.

As I understand, fixed-length vectors were imagined for C-compatibility.
Statically allocated buffers have lifetime that exceed that of all other
objects in the system, therefore they can perfectly be accessed through
slices. Other uses implying C-compatibility should be based on dynamically
allocated memory, and the size will be unknown at compilation.

In the blog article linked, an issue regarding the variable-size of
`rust_vec<T>` is made because it plays havoc with stack-allocation.
However, is real stack-allocation necessary here ? It seems to me that was
is desirable is the semantic aspect of a scope-bound variable. Whether the
actual representation is instantiated on the stack or on the task heap is
an implementation detail, and the compiler could perfectly well be enhanced
such that all variably-sized types are actually instantiated on the heap,
but automatically collected at the end of the function scope. A "parallel"
stack dedicated to such allocations could even be used, as the
allocation/deallocation pattern is stack-like.

I hope my suggestions are reasonable. Do feel free to ignore them if they
are not!

-- Matthieu