On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:41 AM, Graydon Hoare <gray...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Though obviously not the same style as Java, C# or (curiously) Haskell, I
> haven't heard a _lot_ of clear feedback on this point. Patrick has been
> advocating for us to change house style to writing type names as TypeNames,
> but aside from that ... is vowel-omission or abbreviation seriously an
> issue? (eg. python putting regular expressions in 're' or system services in
> 'sys'?) Maybe having more-verbose type names, but keeping module names
> short, is a good balance?

IMO I like the shorter names. As long as it doesn't cause ambiguity.
"vector" tells me nothing that "vec" doesn't, so saving some screen
real-estate to speed up reading (and typing) is a win. It's not
black-and-white though. If something is used infrequently enough that
you don't expect people to remember it by heart, avoid short mnemonics
in favour of descriptive names. If it's unsafe and should stick out
like a sore thumb, avoid short names. For library stuff that's
essentially just shy of being a built-in language feature (like vec,
cmp, ptr, etc.) shorter names make sense IMO.

--
Sebastian Sylvan