As an English speaking engineer, "vector" has real meaning and
immediately recognize "vec" as an abbreviation of that, but a school
kid in Shanghai (上海) shouldn't need to know everything I do to start
learning the language.  Long names can be easier to discover the
meanings of.

Anyways, here's another good place to drop this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ahvzDzKdB0&feature=gv (Growing a
Language, by Guy Steele).  :D

--
Kevin Cantu