From:  Niko Matsakis <n...@alum.mit.edu>
Date:  Wednesday, January 23, 2013 1:44 PM
To:  Dean Thompson <deansherthomp...@gmail.com>
Cc:  <rust-dev@mozilla.org>
Subject:  Re: [rust-dev] "intimidation factor" vs target audience

Dean Thompson wrote:

> Personally, though, I find myself increasingly attracted to the idea of
> having a consistent notation for writing a lifetime everywhere one
> appears, independently of the & symbol. (/lt/ is the only such notation
> I've found yet that seems reasonable.)

I like this idea too, I just don't like /lt/ for that role.

Maybe `'`? (shades of ML)

    &'lt Foo
    Foo<'lt>

That actually doesn't look half bad to me.

Maybe `.`?

    &.lt Foo
    Foo<.lt>

I don't like Foo<.lt>, but &.lt Foo and Foo<lt> might be ok, though it
doesn't adhere to the principle (in that lifetime names are just like any
other identifier).

Another option:

    &{lt} Foo
    Foo<{lt}>

But the latter form feels pretty sigil heavy.

Niko