Graydon answered this pretty thoroughly, but just to add:

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:39 PM, SiegeLord <slab...@aim.com> wrote:
> Scenario 4: Fetching/building without installation
>
> Building without installing:
>
>  rustpkg build <URI>
>
> If you then run `rustpkg install <URI>` or `rustpkg install --package bar`,
> then it'll use that pre-built copy without fetching the sources and building

This is the intended behavior, though currently it will rebuild,
because https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/7075 isn't implemented
yet.

> them again. Speaking of fetching, this would just fetch the sources:
>
>  rustpkg fetch <URI>

Planned -- see https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/7242

Also, I opened https://github.com/mozilla/rust/issues/7447 for Zack's
suggestions about versions.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * http://catamorphism.org/ * Often in error, never in doubt
"Not a riot, it's a rebellion." -- Boots Riley