On 12/18/2013 06:59 PM, Jack Moffitt wrote:
3) Make sends to a full channel an error: I'm really not a fan of this
option at all but I'm listing it for completeness. We could make everyone
check every message send for success. Ick. No thanks.
What should the default be? This makes the API a lot more complicated.

There is a solution 4, which is the old proto! stuff, which created
bounded protocols, but bitrotted. I think this is probably what you're
really looking for.

I do think we should re-explore channel protocols in the future since they provide the advantages of never blocking nor allocating on sends - the buffers are always exactly the right size. If this strategy panned out then it would solve the common complaints about unbounded channels (while possibly adding new ones about complexity).