On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Tony Arcieri <basc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 12:35 PM, Daniel Micay
>
> This isn't just a single offhand incident. It's something I've seen a
> pattern of happening dozens of times over the course of my career. It's
> happened to me personally, and I've seen it happen to others.

I can believe that people are using poor tooling, as I can't
understand how a tab character would sneak in otherwise. It can be
easily prevented at both the text editor and version control layers.
Git can be asked to prevent commits with whitespace problems by
enabling the default pre-commit hook and setting either tabs or space
(and the width) in gitattributes.

> Having separate configuration sections for different environments is a
> rather common convention in the Rails world. Is it a bad idea? Offhand I
> can't say: what would you replace it with?

Testing what you plan on deploying, instead of something else.