On 10/01/14 08:16, Gaetan wrote:

I am not in favor of a customized build system. For instance boost library use their jam build system, and i never figured how to use it in my projects.

I push to use standard and well proved build system like cmake or scons, at least for major components. This would give a nice example of how to use it in any projects.

I'd agree with that on both counts: the principle of using something standard, and the two recommendations.

CMake would probably get my vote, because it's not so much a build tool, as a meta tool for whichever system you prefer, so it would fit in well with various platform-specific IDEs, unusual platforms (android, embedded, ...), etc. That said, scons is also a strong contender, and which of the two is more open to integrating patches and working with new languages is very much worth considering.

I think Rust will be contributing to the wider community by lending its support (and patches) to a common, modern build system, AND it will get something back in terms of users who already know the build system.