On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:32 PM, Vadim <vadi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well maybe then channel() -> (SendEnd, RecvEnd) ?   Or, channel() ->
> (Source, Drain) ?

When there are two concepts, one for "data comes out of this" and one for
"data goes into this", the names I have most often encountered are "Source"
and "Sink". They're pretty descriptive; you immediately know which end is
which. "Source" and "Drain" serves the same purpose as well.

"Port" and "Chan" are IMO really bad names. Neither tells me anything about
does it accept or provide data. "Chan" especially, since conceptually a
channel is the conduit between a source and a sink.

Like Brian said, three concepts are involved here. Good names would be
"Source", "Channel" and "Sink", all three of which are descriptive. No
explanation is necessary to understand what's behind the names and no
memorization is required.

Channel::new() returning a Source and Sink would be an improvement, but it
breaks the mental model of "Type::new() creates a new Type" from the rest
of the codebase.

We need a different name than "new" for this. "Channel::pipe()" is better,
but since function names are often verbs or start with verbs, it implies
not that a pipe is being built, but that the function accepts something
that is piped through the channel.

Channel::new_pipe() returning a (Source, Sink) seems ideal. "new" as the
word before "pipe" would be a good choice because it's suggestive of how
"new()" in other types builds the type.