On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 3:31 AM, Jerry Morrison <jhm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>> integer size.
>>>
>>> It's workable to convert inputs to wraparound types and use
>>> wraparound accumulators, then convert the result to a non-wraparound type.
>>> But using wraparound operators seems simpler, more visible, and less
>>> error-prone. E.g. it'd be a mistake if the hash function returned a
>>> wraparound type, which gets assigned with type inference, and so downstream
>>> operations wrap around.
>>>

>> Yes, the signature of the hash function shouldn't necessarily expose the
>> implementation's use of wraparound types... though it's not completely
>> obvious to me. What kind of downstream operations would it make sense to
>> perform on a hash value anyway? Anything besides further hashing?
>>
>> I'm only minimally knowledgeable about hashing algorithms, but I would've
>> thought that casting the inputs to wraparound types at the outset and then
>> casting the result back at the end would be *less* error prone than making
>> sure to use the wraparound version for every operation in the function. Is
>> that wrong? Are there any operations within the body of the hash function
>> where overflow should be caught?
>>
>> And if we'd be going with separate operators instead of separate types,
>> hash functions are a niche enough use case that, in themselves, I don't
>> think they *warrant* having distinct symbolic operators for the wraparound
>> operations; they could just use named methods instead.
>>
>> Hashing is the one that always comes up, but are there any other
>> instances where wraparound is the desired semantics?
>>

> Here's an example hash function from *Effective Java
> <http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Java-2nd-Joshua-Bloch-ebook/dp/B000WJOUPA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403312109&sr=8-1&keywords=joshua+bloch+effective+java>*
>  (page
> 48) following its recipe for writing hash functions by combining the
> object's significant fields:
>
> @Override public int hashCode() {
>
> int result = 17;
>
> result = 31 * result + areaCode;
>
> result = 31 * result + prefix;
>
> result = 31 * result + lineNumber;
>
> return result;
>
> }
>

> So using Swift's wraparound operators in Java looks like:
>
> @Override public int hashCode() {
>
> int result = 17;
>
> result = 31 &* result &+ areaCode;
>
> result = 31 &* result &+ prefix;
>
> result = 31 &* result &+ lineNumber;
>
> return result;
>
> }
>

> Alternatively, with a wraparound integer type wint (note that int is
> defined to be 32 bits in Java):
>
> @Override public int hashCode() {
>
> wint result = 17;
>
> result = (wint) 31 * result + (wint) areaCode;
>
> result = (wint) 31 * result + (wint) prefix;
>
> result = (wint) 31 * result + (wint) lineNumber;
>
> return (int) result;
>
> }
>

> In this example, it's easier to get the first one right than the second

Thanks. I think the first `(wint)` cast in the middle three lines might be
avoidable in Rust. And once you've written `int hashCode()` and `wint
result`, the typechecker should complain about any casts that you
accidentally forget or get wrong. Given these, the winner is no longer so
clear to me. But yeah, the operator-based version isn't as obviously worse
as I had assumed.