I think the point of discourse is that it provides a far better user
interface then the mailing list does. Mailing lists are pretty
backward in this day an age.

The basics are that you can tag discussions and use backticks to quote code etc.

Other smart things you can probably implement is sorting based on
which discussion has been more active on average response frequency in
given period of time, and not just you mail client's "most recently
replied to" kind of sorting.

Cross-referencing with github issues/pulls would be great to have!