hello matthieu,

thanks for responding.

you mentioned that "rust" supports some object-oriented concepts.
may i know which?

also, deviating a bit off-topic, would a decent grasp of functional programming be a pre-requisite to learning "rust"?

thanks,

~mayuresh

On 2015-01-11 17:21, Matthieu Monrocq wrote:
Hello Mayuresh,

The problem with your question is dual:

 - OO itself is a fairly overloaded term, and it is unclear what
definition you use for it: Alan Kay's original? The presence of
inheritance? ...
 - Just because a language supports OO concepts does not mean that it
ONLY supports OO concepts, many languages are multi-paradigms and can
be used for procedural programming, object-oriented programming (in a
loose sense given the loose definition in practice), generic
programming, functional programming, ...

Rust happens to be a multi-paradigms language. It supports some, but
not all, object-oriented concepts, but also thrives with free
functions and generic functions and supports functional programming
expressiveness (but not purity concepts).

I would also note that I have C striving to achieve some OO concepts
(opaque pointers for encapsulation, virtual-dispatch through manually
written virtual-tables, ...), some even in C you cannot necessarily
avoid the OO paradigm, depending on the libraries you use.

Is Rust a good language for you? Maybe!

The only way for you to know is to give it a spin.

Have a nice day.

-- Matthieu

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 2:59 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayur...@kathe.in>