Hello and good afternoon, Ashton.

Ashton Fagg wrote in
 <20220414140839.wrldd%ash...@fagg.id.au>:
 |I am new to s-mail (thank you! seems wonderful so far), and it is

Thank you.  (It is a simple program with a long road to go..)

 |possible I am doing something wrong. However, this behavior was
 |unexpected and seems to contradict the man page, so figured I'd ask.
 |
 |I am trying to set quote-inject-head to "%r wrote:\n".
 |
 |Whether I include or omit the "\n", and irrespective of which editor I
 |use (I've tried emacs, mg and vi), the "\n" never seems to get
 |respected. What ends up happening is the quote gets mangled, and looks
 |something like this:

 |"John Smith wrote:\n > first line of quoted message"

 |Note that the "\n" is printed as a string, and not obeyed as a new line.
 |
 |The *default* setting (i.e. omitting setting my own quote-inject-head)
 |works as expected.
 |
 |The man page seems to suggest that a newline character is required, but
 |clearly that's not working in my case. :-)
 |
 |I am using OpenBSD, with nail version from the ports tree:
 |
 |moon$ nail --version
 |nail v14.9.24, 2022-03-26 (built for OpenBSD)

Oh!  I did not know Stuart already had comitted it!
Thank you for using this little MUA.

 |Below is my ~/.mailrc. Hoping someone can provide me some advice. Please
 |let me know if there's anything else I can provide.
 |
 |Thanks!
 |
 |Ash
 |
 |~/.mailrc:
 |
 |set v15-compat

Please do "set v15-compat=y", it will be the default in v14.10,
and it will enable automatic shell expansion (without the need for
using the "wysh" command modifier) for the below.

 |set color-disable

This is "set colour-disable".
But you should not need it, unless you do configure colors.  (It
was different at the beginning, but ever since we have the real
"colour" command, no automatic colours.)

 |set sendcharsets=utf-8
 |set reply-in-same-charset
 |set fullnames
 |set followup-to followup-to-honour-ask-yes reply-to-honor=ask-yes
 |set markanswered
 |set editalong
 |set history-gabby=all
 |set history-file=~/.s-nailhist
 |set autosort=thread
 |unset autocollapse
 |set hold
 |set askattach
 |set askcc
 |set askbcc

Wondering, for me this prologue would be too lengthy given that
there is "editalong" set and $EDITOR pops up at once.  (Unless
that would be ed(1) or so :), i do have "set editalong=v".)
Just from verifying that i say here is true it is terrible :)

 |set editheaders
 |set quote
 |set quote-fold=72
 |set indentprefix="> "
 |set quote-inject-head="%r wrote:\n"

And then use $'' shell quoting (manual, "Shell-style argument
quoting") to expand the variable, this should get you going:

 set quote-inject-head=$'%r wrote:\n'

 |set crt=10
 |set PAGER=less
 |set prompt='nail> '
 |
 |account "personal" {
 | localopts yes

This is automatically enabled for accounts (with a special scope).
If you would do "nail -:u -vv" you could see

  mailx: COMMAND <account> "personal" {
  mailx: COMMAND <account> personal
  mailx: COMMAND <localopts> yes
  mailx: Cannot turn off `localopts', setting is fixated

 | set folder=~/Mail
 | set inbox=+INBOX
 | set record=+INBOX
 | set from="Ashton Fagg <ash...@fagg.id.au>"
 |
 | headerpick type retain from_ date from to cc bcc subject \
 |  message-id mail-followup-to reply-to
 |
 | shortcut inbox +INBOX
 | shortcut archives +Archives/2022
 | commandalias sync !/bin/ksh -i -c "msync"
 |}
 |
 |account personal

 --End of <20220414140839.wrldd%ash...@fagg.id.au>

Ciao from Germany,