I'm in the same boat as you, John, with have a 290 in need of new 
paint.  As a purist/traditionalist, painting original equipment such 
as this really goes against my grain but due to the condition of my 
loco I think it really has to be done.  As John asked, what type of 
primer would you recommend?  What kind of finish coat?  I've never 
painted METAL model railroad equipment before so any suggestions 
would be helpful.  Also, where can one find decals with the same or 
similar font as the original AF?

Jeff



> >   Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 19:48:00 -0500
> >   From: "John L." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Subject: Painting Locomotives
> > 
> > Since getting bit by the AF bug a year or so ago, and having been 
given
> > back my originial AF 290 train I got for Xmas when I was 6 - I 
have
> > accumulated a number of AF locomotive die cast pieces. A couple 
of these
> > are in need of a new paint job. My question is -what is the best 
way to
> > prepare one of these for a new paint job, and what is the best 
type of
> > model paint to use. Any comments will be appreciated. Also after 
repaint
> > - how do you go about properly putting the numbers and AF logos 
on the
> > engine and tender.?
> > 
> > 
> 
> Remove all detail parts such as headlight lens and bell.
> Any paint chips or scratches can be smoothed over with fine emery 
paper 
> before painting.
> Clean each part with a toothbrush using dishwashing liquid and warm 
water. 
> Krylon 1613 semi flat black is a good match for the black used on 
steam 
> locos.
> You can get either dry transfers or rubber stamps for the lettering 
from 
> Portlines.
> 
> Bill Frazier
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to