For the past few days I have enjoyed many of the members of our group reminising about 
their first , and later, purchases of electric trains, especially American Flyer. From 
all of their accounts I have concluded that I was perhaps the most fortunate of all in 
that I lived about 35 miles south of Chicago, IL and was introduced to American Flyer 
at Gilbert's showroom and warehouse in that city just before Christmas of 1949.  I had 
graduated earlier that year from USAF pilot training and had flown an A-26 into Midway 
Airport for the Christmas holidays.  I decided to catch the streetcar downtown to the 
Loop to do some Xmas shopping for my two younger brothers and somehow found the 
Gilbert store.  Of course I was in uniform and when I walked into the lobby of the 
store I was greeted warmly and immediately given a royal tour of the showroom and 
surrounding environs.  When I mentioned that I was interested in purchasing one of 
their electric train sets I think I was told, although!
 I'm not certain of this, that they did not sell to the general public and I was 
referred to Marshall Field's Department Store some distance away.  My memory sort of 
fades at this point about the specifics but, in any event,  I was invited to go 
upstairs to their shipping department where I was introduced to the cutest little 
brunette who escorted me to a section of the store where other girls were boxing up 
the various Flyer train sets for shipment to various retail or distributor outlets as 
I recall.  I won't bore you further with fuzzy details except to say that when I left 
the Gilbert facility very late that day I had two things in my possession;  a 
beautiful Hudson heavyweight passenger set with all the accessories and the name and 
telephone number of that cute brunette !   No, I never did get the brunette but that 
1949 Hudson heavyweight set resides in my trainroom as I type this, minus its' 
original Gilbert motor but replete with one of Steve Blackburn's new can motor!
 conversion kits. My younger brothers enjoyed that set for a number of years until 
cars, girls and other things superceded their earlier interests.  When that happened 
my blessed mother insisted they carefully wrap the set in its' original boxes and put 
it away in the attic until the first grandson arrived.  Well, one of the advantages of 
being 10 and 12 years older, respectively,than my brothers was that I got the train  
back  when my first son was born.  When his brother arrived six years later we already 
had our first layout and , for a number of years, we continued to add to our Flyer 
collection.  Sadly, those damned slot cars and midget motorcycles captured my sons' 
interests  and the trains went into storage for another , extended period of time.  
But three years ago they all came back out and , when the layout effort was finished, 
that gorgeous Hudson heavyweight passenger set was the first to make the run around 
the big loop !  Hope I haven't bored you too much.

Regards, Russ











[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to