In a message dated 2/2/03 6:26:58 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< This is a Pike's Peak coach in red, 5 digit, currently bid up to $811.00.
DOLLARS!  What am I missing here?  The Grand Canyon business car is up to
$350.  Gee, for only $1161.00 plus shipping, I can own two old plastic
S-gauge toy passenger cars.  Or, I could by two complete 7 car sets with
engine from AM and get change. >>

Five digit Gilbert heavyweights are very tough to come by and command a 
premium from collectors. Although extreme, I saw a nice 24733 go at York 
pretty quickly for nearly $900 two Yorks ago. The 900 series heavyweights are 
fairly desirable, as well, and the 978 operating brakeman Grand Canyon is 
really quite unique. No one has reproduced them. One can buy all of the AM 
heavyweights one wishes, but, sadly, they are still decidedly inferior to the 
vintage Gilberts. I'd take to operate a string of nice 600 series link 
coupler heavyweights any day over the AMs. So there! :-))

RB

S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to