Set up my A.F. trains for the first time in many years in Nov. 2002. 
Have been carefully cleaning and lubing all moving parts of the 324AC 
and it now works great with the help of brushes/springs/smoke 
piston/wick/and smoke element I have purchased from "Leonard a.k.a. 
the "Gilbert Guru" on ebay whom I highly recommend as he is eager to 
help and seems to have even the most obscure parts in stock. Now the 
engine works great just like it did many years ago! Now, my plea for 
help!!! The 324AC has a built in whistle in tender which looks like a 
black bakelite body with a silver colored disc in its center (a 
speaker?) and has a old red paper long body capacitor wired to one 
side of the speaker. The capacitor has no values or volts printed on 
its paper shell. Anyway, I have never had the pushbutton and 
generator apparatus to make the horn sound. So, I purchased a 'diesel 
horn generator' and a 'air chime whistle' off ebay. Both have a 
bakelite body and pushbutton with a generator tube installed. Upon 
hooking them up to the 324AC loco I get only a faint 'buzz' from the 
speaker. I then placed a new 'air chime' capacitor I had purchased 
from RFGCO earlier last year in place of the original paper one ( the 
new cap was a very small orange colored one rated 50mf at 35 volts 
and came with a 72 ohm resistor which I did not use because there is 
no resistor in the 324AC tender), still did not work so I reversed 
the polarity of the RFCGO capacitor and still just a faint 'buzz'. 
Then I hooked up a small radio speaker in place of the tenders 
bakelite one and still only a faint 'buzz' when the 'air chime 
whistle' button is depressed. Could both the original capacitor and 
the RFCGO replacment be bad? Is there a way to get this 324AC horn to 
work? Much thanks, Mikey.


S-Trains list sponsor: http://www.americanflyertrains.com
All the Flyer you desire...books and accessories too!

To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send a note to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ 


Reply via email to