On 7/29/12 6:34 AM, Patrick Hunt wrote:
Some comments:

1) .zip for the artifacts is a bit unusual (not a real problem
though), why not .tar.gz?

Zip is the default archive format with the build system that we use (gradle). We could certainly change that, but since it's not really an issue, I'd rather leave that for a later release.

2) signing looks good

3) why are you shipping jars in the src artifact? is this really necessary?

We provide a wrapper around gradle so that users don't have to install gradle beforehand. We need the corresponding jars, only for building. I managed to reduce the number of included jars to 1 though.

4) your src license includes licenses for files not actually in the
artifact. You'll need separate licenses for src and bin, where src
license includes only for those in the artifact.

OK. The License file in the binary distribution now includes licenses of all shipped jars. For the source distribution, there is only gradle, which is ASL2, so it's just the ASL2 license.

5) the jars in the bin seem ok, however there are some I'm not
familiar with. Have you checked that all included jars are cat A?

Only logback is in category B, and was already accepted for inclusion in other ASF projects. (see LEGAL-63)

Eventually I reworked the dependency management in the project in order to avoid transitive dependencies. That actually helped identify a few invalid compile dependencies.

Here are the other dependencies included in the binary distribution:

Category A:
BSD
asm-3.2.jar
kryo-1.04.jar
minlog-1.2.jar

ASL2
gradle-base-services-1.0.jar
gradle-core-1.0.jar
gradle-tooling-api-1.0.jar
gradle-wrapper-1.0.jar
commons-beanutils-1.7.0.jar
commons-beanutils-core-1.8.0.jar
commons-codec-1.4.jar
commons-collections-3.2.1.jar
commons-configuration-1.6.jar
commons-digester-1.8.jar
commons-io-2.4.jar
commons-lang-2.4.jar
commons-logging-1.1.1.jar
guava-12.0.1.jar
guice-3.0.jar
guice-assistedinject-3.0.jar
collections-generic-4.01.jar
gson-1.6.jar
jcommander-1.25.jar
zookeeper-3.3.3.jar
zkclient-0.1.jar
netty-3.2.5.Final.jar
javax.inject-1.jar
objenesis-1.2.jar

public domain
aopalliance-1.0.jar

CCAL (creative commons)
jcip-annotations-1.0.jar

MIT
slf4j-api-1.6.1.jar

Category B:

EPL1.0
logback-classic-0.9.29.jar
logback-core-0.9.29.jar

junit for example is cddl which is cat b and best left out. I'd leave
out all the test specific jars.

6) the notice file for the bin is the same as the NOTICE file for the
src artifact. See the Apache license - you need to ensure that the
binary artifact includes all the notices of included binaries. In some
cases this is included in the jar file of the included binary itself,
but you need to check this.

I checked again, and as far as I understand, only CCAL work should be referenced there, all other dependencies do not mandate any more credit than the copyright already included in the license.

The NOTICE file in the bin distribution now reflects that.

7) I quickly ran through the checklist
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#check-list

and everything seemed fine except for the noted items.

Thanks a lot Patrick for looking into this!

I just finished integrating your comments, I'll create a new package ASAP, and submit to the general list for a vote.

Regards,

Matthieu

Patrick