On Sun, Sep 1, 2013, at 03:50 PM, Flavio Junqueira wrote:
> Thanks for putting it together, Oleg. Here are some suggestions for two
> parts of the proposal:
>
> - Any issued the IPMC should be aware of: I would include two things
> here. First, we have been asked about graduation. We haven't been able to
> conclude whether we should graduate or not. One particular problem we
> have been having is with growth of the community. I would say that in a
> recent e-mail thread, we have received very positive feedback from some
> developers, so we would like to remain in incubation for a little longer
> so that we can get some traction. Second, one of our mentors hasn't been
> responsive, so we need to find another mentor.

I think the primary issue here is not graduation, per se, it's the
inactivity. It doesn't seem to me there's much going on in the S4
community. In March, the dev mailing list was reasonably busy (132
messages) and then that's dwindled to less than 35 per month since
March.

There was no activity in git on August at all. A little in July, more in
June.

*If* there's enough interest on the community side to keep the project
going, then I'd be happy to step up as a mentor. Right now, I'm very
concerned that the project lacks a diverse/large enough community to
remain healthy.

Note that the community has also been failing to keep the incubator
status page up to date. The last status report listed was from 2012, but
there have been status reports since. IIRC, someone has been added as a
committer, but is not listed yet under project info. The last release
(0.6.0) is not listed on the incubator status page either.

Also: Has the podling name search been completed? I saw that referenced
on another report, and it's still listed as needed on the status page.
This needs to be completed if it hasn't been.

> - Has the community developed since the last report? I would say that we
> have been seeing some traffic on the mailing lists, mostly questions
> about how to use S4, but the code contributions have been fairly minimal.

It looks to me like the community has actually shrunk since the last
report, but I could be missing something.

Would like to see S4 turn this around and grow its community and get
ready to graduate, but I think graduation would be premature at this
point.

Best,

jzb
--