Hi there,

I was teaching the whole day so that you ended the discussion without me :-)

> > I think it is ridiculous to have doctests of the form
> >
> >        sage:sga = SymmetricGroup(3)
> >        sage: TestSuite(sga).run(verbose=True)
> >        running ._test_an_element() .. done
> >        running ._test_associativity() .. done
> >        running ._test_element_pickling() .. done
> >        running ._test_inverse() .. done
> >        running ._test_len() .. done
> >        running ._test_not_implemented_methods() .. done
> >        running ._test_one() .. done
> >        running ._test_pickling() .. done
> >        running ._test_prod() .. done
> >        running ._test_some_elements() .. done
> >
> > Doctests are meant to be *read* by people, and to be guaranteed right.
>
> Yes. That's the point. I *want* those doctests to be read. This gives
> useful feedback on what is being tested. Also this advertises features
> of the categories which are otherwise a bit hidden in the
> introspection (since we decided to name the test methods _test...).
>
> And, well, those tests are correct in that they check that at least
> those tests are run :-) Sure, 100% correctness is better.

I agree with Nicolas ! There should be a more complete documentation on what
precisely is being tested, but we all do what we can in the time we have !

> > I think that is bad, since it is explicitly and on purposely tricking
> > the reader.  Please don't do that.
>
> As I said, if someone takes on the promise of updating the category
> examples (which I care much about), I am very fine with it.

Ok ! This one some to be for me !!! A already have a patch which fixes the
current one (i.e. upto patch Sage-4.3 in the queue). As soon as I find the
time to check that everything is ok I'll submit it to #7478.

Just to be sure: do we agree to let this verbose list is the documentation of
a non-trivial category to expose the tests which are actually run, and to
systematically remove it everywhere else ?

Cheers,

Florent