Hi Dan!

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:10:48AM -0800, bump wrote:
> Looking at the classical part of the #10632, this is a good advance
> and will be very useful. However I'm wondering if the latex output
> can be improved.
> One could either (1) implement tableaux with half-boxes on the right
> edge
> or (2) figure out some way that the labels don't overlap. For example,
> the picture of the B3 crystal with shape [3/2,1/2,1/2] has overlapping
> labels.

For the curious, with the latest sage-combinat patches:

    sage: B = CrystalOfTableaux(['B',3],shape=[3/2,1/2,1/2])
    sage: view(B, pdflatex=True, tightpage=True)

> The problem is that the ascii implementation is used, and it is not
> so compact. Another question would be whether dot2tex can be made
> to produce output that is wider so that the labels don't overlap.

The latex/dot2tex code in graphs already handle bounding boxes properly:

    sage: G=B.digraph()
    sage: G.set_latex_options(format="dot2tex")
    sage: view(G, pdflatex=True, tightpage=True)

This sounds like a good enough incentive to finally get rid of our
Sage Days 7 quick hack, and have B.latex use the latex/dot2tex code
for graphs, doesn't it?

As for compactness, one could indeed use the signature, and possibly
combine it with the LaTeX function of Tableaux. Here is a quick hack
to see what it could look like (please check; maybe a revert is needed):

    sage: def spin_latex(self): return latex(Tableau([[i] for i in
self.signature()]))

    sage: sage.combinat.crystals.spins.Spin._latex_=spin_latex
    sage: view(G, pdflatex=True, tightpage=True)