Bonjour Florent,

Thanks for the suggestions.

(1)  None of these options worked to get back to mouse *outside* of the sage/VM
window.  The only way I could get the mouse back for the rest of my desktop was
to do Control-Alt-Delete, tell the machine I was logging off, and then
cancelling when it asked me to force shutdown of various programs.

(2)  Here is precisely what I am doing:  Starting Oracle VM VirtualBox, typing
Control C twice to quit the Sage notebook, this brings up the prompt

[sage@sage sage]$

in the VM screen.  I then type

./sage

This brings up the prompt

sage:

in the VM screen.  Then I start trying commands in the VM screen, for example
if I type

sage -i dot2tex

then I get the error message

File "<ipython console>", line 1
sage -i dot2tex
                    ^
SyntaxError:  invalid syntax

If I try

./sage -i dot2tex

I get the same error message except that the caret (^) points to the period in
"./sage"

Cheers, Bruce