> A "sparse" GCM (generalized Cartan matrix)
> can be implemented as list of items of the form
>
> (i,j,a_{ij},a_{ji})
>
> where i < j are elements in an index set.
> I guess this is a skew symmetric matrix with
> entries given by pairs (a_{ij},a_{ji}).

What I now do is to allow any generalized Cartan matrix as input for
Dynkin diagram, and then build from it the root system, root space,
and weyl group. For finite Weyl groups, I would also give an optional
argument to have it as a permutation group of the roots.

But I also like the idea of having a very simple class containing only
the generalized Cartan matrix. From this one could construct the root
system (which should also behave as the set of all its roots, with
iterators over all roots, positive roots, and negative roots), the
root space, the Weyl group, and so on.