On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 09:17:38AM -0400, Viviane Pons wrote:
> Ok, well in the mean time I will force the field to be QQ on my hand.
> But I think a long end solution would be to do some test on the root
> system type to decide what is the best field.

For the record, there is already a hook to implement this: see

    sage.combinat.root_system.ambient_space.AmbientSpace.smallest_base_ring
    sage.combinat.root_system.type_A.AmbientSpace.smallest_base_ring

Christian: do you envision any non crystallographic root system for
which we would have a manually defined ambient space?