On Tuesday, 17 July 2012 12:55:13 UTC+8, Keshav Kini wrote:

> Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Monday, 16 July 2012 20:49:31 UTC+8, Keshav Kini wrote:
> >     Not really. That's only if you do `hg import --exact`, and your
> >     patch
> >     has the correct headers.
> > yes, but it should have them if its creator had
> > [diff]
> > git = 1
> > in her/his .hgrc.
>
> No, this is actually irrelevant. Putting those lines in ~/.hgrc causes
> the git diff format to be used, which is able to store the following
> information that standard unified diffs cannot (text taken from `hg help
> diffs`):
>
>     - executable status and other permission bits
>     - copy or rename information
>     - changes in binary files
>     - creation or deletion of empty files

OK, I stand corrected. (Even though if one contributes a new executable
script by patch, it better have correct
executable flag :))

> Node ID headers are always created by `hg export`, but they are not
> created by `hg qrefresh`, because they are dependent upon properties of
> the actual commit object in the history tree, not simply the diff hunks.
>
> The most likely reason for a patch file to not have those headers is
> that it was copied directly out of .hg/patches instead of being created
> with `hg export qtip > foo.patch`.

some people still use diff to create patches :)
E.g. I am having hard time on GAP developers list to convince people to
provide instructions on how to submit meaningful patches to GAP source
(which
will very soon be maintained using hg).